Instructions : Curved Tip Syringe
The curved tip syringe that you have been given is to be used starting two days after surgery.
To use the syringe:
- Fill the syringe with warm water or warm salt water.
- Carefully place the tip of the syringe within the socket of the tooth that has been removed.
- Push the plunger of the syringe with steady force so that any food that has been trapped in the socket is washed away.
- Swish vigorously with the water then empty spit.
- Check the rinse water for food particles. If any food particles are seen, continue to irrigate the socket until you can no longer see any particles in the water.
- Repeat this process for each lower socket until all sockets are free from food.
- The upper sockets can also be irrigated if you feel that there may be food in that area as well. Place the tip of the syringe in to the socket and do not use a lot of force. Usually vigorous swishing will rinse the upper sockets out and irrigating may not be necessary.
- This process should be repeated after every time you eat to assure that the sockets are clean.
- Continue with the salt-water rinses that you started the day after surgery along with the syringe irrigating for the next 4 to 6 weeks.
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO LESSEN THE CHANCE OF POST-OPERATIVE INFECTION.